Company: Bigpoint GmbH
Oct 2014 – Aug 2016
- Working on Farmerama, an award winning farm simulation game with 800.000+ MAU at the time, developed with Adobe Flash and ActionScript 3 for the web;
- Programmer on an Unity mobile game and researching porting Farmerama to Unity;
- Activities include client side implementation of seasonal content, game and processes improvements;
- Improved team and game performance by refactoring the icon system (more than 5.000 icons in the game).
Company: Xmile Learning
Aug 2013 – Mar 2014
Mundo dos Sonhos é um lugar mágico e misterioso onde vão parar todas as coisas que perdemos no mundo real. É lá que surgem todos nossos medos e é lá também onde todas as lendas e contos de fadas têm origem. Mas esse lugar fantástico está em perigo! Convocadas para desvendar os misteriosos desaparecimentos que vêm ocorrendo, as crianças são os Guardiões dos Sonhos e embarcam em uma grande e inesquecível aventura.
- Released Mistério dos Sonhos, a game for children from 7 to 10 years old;
- Hired and managed a team of 4 programmers to develop the game client with Adobe AIR and Starling;
- The game is sold directly to private and public schools, and over 30.000 children already have licenses to play it across the country.
Mistério dos Sonhos 1 – O Chamado dos Guardiões (Xmile Learning)
Mistério dos Sonhos 2 – A Máquina do Poder (Xmile Learning)
Mistério dos Sonhos 3 – A Grande Jornada (Xmile Learning)
After more than one year without touching a gamebook pet project, I decided to release its code under LGPL 3, so here it is, the Crossroads Engine (BitBucket).
Download Crossroads Editor (Windows)
AIR runtime (needed to run the editor)
The engine comprises a visual story editor and a viewer written in ActionScript 3, that allows creating “Choose Your Own Adventure” style of games, RPG character dialog trees or variants of interactive fiction. It allows the use of variables, conditions and images for the scenes. The viewer has a parser class that can be embedded in any project (respecting the license).
Let there be a story
Today I was going through some old files from a pile of CD’s full of mold, and then I saw something nice. I found two of the first computer programs I ever made, written in QBasic. They were games – or demos to be fair. After some scrubbing with QB64, I got some executables that play nice with Windows 7, and here they are (you need to extract the whole folder before running). They are silly, but they were made a loooooong time ago… around 1995 🙂
Download QBasic Nostalgia (Windows)
This project is not game related but interesting since it involved apps in multiple platforms and hardware integration.
Jan 2010 – Jul 2013
Sysmarine Adriatic is a control system for yachts which allows you to remotely access all the electrical devices on the boat, as well as your multimedia devices and an accessory navigation with nautical charts. The project included hardware and software, and the application was developed for iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android tablets using Objective-C, C++ and Java. I was the software lead (and one of the founders) of the company.
This project is not game related but pertinent since it involved a tablet app and the integration with a backend for content and student management.
Jan 2010 – Jul 2013
Deduca is a remote learning platform integrated with a learning management system which could download and display EPUB, HTML, PDF, video and audio content. Developed using Java for Android tablets and smartphones, also included a PHP server side to integrate with different systems and upload content.
Aug 2007 – Aug 2010
Taikodom and Taikodom: Living Universe were two versions of a brazilian MMO RPG with a strong focus in space combat, mining, crafting and corporation (guild) building. The first version was intended to the brazilian market, and was developed using C++ and Java for client and server. The second version, planned to be released internationally was developed using Unity, C# and SQL Server (Transact-SQL) for persistance. The game servers were shutdown on 2015.
My activities in this project included:
- Development of game features on Unity3D and on the inhouse engine including GUI, server and client programming (C#, Java and C++), .NET web services and SQLServer database programming, including stored procedures;
- Implemented engine support for Adobe Flash textures using GameSWF (C++);
- Implemented engine support for Bink video textures (RAD Game Tools, C++);
- Initial engine support for loading textures and materials from Granny files (RAD Game Tools, C++);
- Initial engine support for S3TC/DXTC compressed textures;
- Initial analysis and implementation of GJK and EPA collision detection algorithms;
- Proof of concept of a avatar customization system (including different meshes for features, clothing and texture baking);
- Development of tools to automatically verify art assets;
- Development of tool to convert and reduce size of game textures.
Taikodom, Taikodom: Living Universe (Hoplon)